MythTV Reloaded - Day 21

Dec 09 2011

I'm happy to say that after weeks of work (I can't believe that it actually took that long.  I'm so ashamed) I have a frontend that works very nicely.  I should have posted this a few days ago but I've been happily enjoying my new setup.  For the most part it's been working great. I have really been enjoying the quick suspend/resume.  This is the first time that I've been able to get it to function properly on this system.  It's much nicer than the 2 minutes or so it used to take.  Anyway, I noticed that I have a couple of button mismappings on my remote - commercial skip forward and backward are swapped.  Easy enough to fix.  

I haven't had a chance to test out DVD and BluRay playback.  I can report back when I've had time to do that.  I don't think I have BluRay setup quite right yet but if I get DVDs to playback reliably I'll be a step up from my old setup.  It used to work on my old frontend (an installation that I had before my previous setup) but then when I upgraded to what I was previously working it was very hit or miss and I eventually gave up and hooked up a dedicated DVD player to the TV.

I think that my HD playback has gone up a notch in image quality as well from this upgrade.  The new drivers (and possibly the underlying video rendering system) seem to be allowing me to run a much smoother playback.  In the past, high speed panning scenes (football) would have a tear in the middle of the screen but I haven't seen it since the update.  Audio continues to work well - optical out to my receiver; that TV doesn't have HDMI.

In the end I'm very satisfied with this upgrade.  I have everything working as well as or better than my previous setup with the sole exception of Mythweb which I still need to setup.  But that'll be for another day.  For now, I'm going to go back and play with my newly functional toys.

Website design by Yammm Software
Powered by Drupal