I'm going to build a new SageTV 'Client' PC. It will replace our old Dell P4. All media is stored on a WHS machine. It will only be used for HTPC duties.
What we hope it will accomplish is:
1. Have lots more power. HD has greatly increased our power requirements, even with hardware acceleration on the GPU. Also we want to use Comskip (a commercial marking software) and it's very cpu intensive.
2. Be quieter. When we do HD on the old Dell it's fan winds up like it's about to take off!
3. Be reliable. Getting worried our old Dell may be getting tired.
4. Keep costs to a minimum but have good value.
Here's what I am thinking of using: (Please keep in mind that with our internal soundcard we don't need HDMI. DVI out from the video card is all we need.) All prices are from Direct Canada. Supposedly they include free shipping on over $300.
1. Nmedia HTPC-8000 Red Wooden Desktop Media Centre Case ATX 1X5.25 4X3.5INT Card Reader No PSU $108.86.
2. ASUS M4N68T-M mATX AM3 GF7025 NF630A DDR3 PCI-E16 PCI-E 2XPCI SATA2 RAID Audio Motherboard $51.48
3. Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3N9K2/4G PC3-10666 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1333 CL9 240PIN DIMM Memory Kit $68.79
4. Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB SATA2 3.5IN 8.5MS 7200RPM 16MB Hard Drive OEM *3YR MFR Warranty* $37.99
5.AMD Athlon II x4 635 Quad Core Processor AM3 2.9GHZ 2MB L2 Cache 95W 45NM Retail Box C3 Stepping $100.82
New parts we already have, or are ordered:
1. Win 7 Home, OEM
2. Antec PSU Basiq BP550
3. Liteon IHOS104 4X BLU-RAY Reader BD-ROM Drive SATA Black Retail Box.
4. Asus Essence ST 5.1 Sound Card.
We will use our old Video card - an EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 512MB 64 bit PCIx. Has DVI out to TV. Might upgrade that later if needed. Will also use our old small monitor (for pc work only), keyboard and mouse.
Note that our only audio use will be from the Analog Outs on Essence ST card.
No HDMI or SPDIF needed.
The HD is more than we need for this application - but the price is great!
While not fitting in with the budget build, I think the extra money for the Cherry wood HTPC case is worth it in our situation. We have large 1958 Klipschorn speakers and some other old furniture in our HT room. And I think it will be a conversation piece. Has anyone here used or seen this case?
Would appreciate any comments, especially on the mobo. Also I can't tell if this CPU comes with a cooler. Might I need a separate one?
Thanks very much,