ShowAnalyzer Beta 0.9.7 (w/HD-PVR support)

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
skirge01's picture
ShowAnalyzer Beta 0.9.7 (w/HD-PVR support)

I submitted this as news, but it apparently wasn't newsworthy enough!  ;D  I thought this was a big deal, so I posted it in here.  Jere Jones announced on the SageTV forums that the latest beta of ShowAnalyzer is available.  Here's the lowdown on this highly anticipated update:

I have two announcements:

First:
ShowAnalyzerSuite V1.0 is ready to be beat down by the select adventurous few. I'm distributing the installer in a private forum at http://www.dragonglobal.biz/forums so if you feel like taking it for a spin, send me a PM over there and I'll add you to the forums where you can download it, try it and give me feedback.

For the not so adventurous, September 1st is release to the world day.

And, yes, it works on HD-PVR streams.

Second:
With ShowAnalyzerSuite V1.0 nearing release to the world at large, the price must increase to cover the higher royalties that the MPEG Licensing Authority requires.

Starting September 1st, the prices will be as follows:
ShowAnalyzerSuite (includes 1 year of upgrades): US$29.98
Maintenance Renewal (one additional year of upgrades starting from purchase date or expiration of current upgrade license, which ever is longer): US$14.99

The September 1st date is dependent on V1.0 being released that day.

As appreciation to the beta testers (not private testers), everyone who has purchased ShowAnalyzer prior to September 1st will get lifetime upgrades.

To cover the next royalty increase, there will be another price increase when I add the ability to actually cut the commercials out of the file. Since ShowAnalyzerSuite will then include encoders, the MPEG Licensing Authority will want more royalties. I am considering making the encoders (thus the higher price) optional, but I haven't decided yet. Regardless of my decision, it will be considered an upgrade, not a new product.

I know I'm excited!  This is on the heels of hearing that the AC3 support for the HD-PVR is VERY close.

I picked up a copy just because the pricing structure will be changing and I know i'm getting an HD-PVR this fall, plus I don't mind supporting the folks that have worked hard to develop tools for the community. Also a good hedge if comskip is slow in adding support for h.264 files.

My Home Theater, XLobbyMC
To Do: Finish Re-ripping my music collection - While Playing FF XIV

jennyfur's picture

So what's the big deal here? Why should I want to upgrade?
Just wondering what's new. Is HD-PVR support it?

7MC - Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-2650 - Avermedia M780 - Dvico Fusion HDTV7 - Terk HDTVa - Xbox 360 S - Logitech Harmony 650 - Panasonic V10 - Onkyo HT-RC160

skirge01's picture

ShowAnalyzer has been one of the best programs around for commercial skipping in HTPC's.  When the HD-PVR came out and there was no support for H.264 in SA, there was a collective of people waiting with baited breath for it's support.  Hey, if you don't mind commercials in your HD, stick with your FF button.  Wink

jennyfur's picture

skirge01 wrote:

ShowAnalyzer has been one of the best programs around for commercial skipping in HTPC's.  When the HD-PVR came out and there was no support for H.264 in SA, there was a collective of people waiting with baited breath for it's support.  Hey, if you don't mind commercials in your HD, stick with your FF button.  Wink

No, I've owned ShowAnalyzer for years now and am well aware of what it is/does. I was asking why I would want to upgrade. I was asking if HD-PVR support was all that was new in this new release. I don't have an HD-PVR, so support for it isn't something I'd pay for if there's no other benefit to me.

7MC - Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-2650 - Avermedia M780 - Dvico Fusion HDTV7 - Terk HDTVa - Xbox 360 S - Logitech Harmony 650 - Panasonic V10 - Onkyo HT-RC160

skirge01's picture

If you already own it, then I believe you get lifetime upgrades anyhow.  Jere hasn't said what else has changed, other than the fact that it's moving to a "suite" name.

If you already own it you are grandfathered in for all future upgrades. That will change for new buyers on Sept 1.

I purchased it purely because of this promise:

Quote:
As appreciation to the beta testers (not private testers), everyone who has purchased ShowAnalyzer prior to September 1st will get lifetime upgrades.

Considering the move to a higher initial price and yearly maintenance contract structure it seemed a prudent investment to buy a license now.

My Home Theater, XLobbyMC
To Do: Finish Re-ripping my music collection - While Playing FF XIV

jennyfur's picture

Ahh. Thanks for the clarification, guess I'm set already then. I was mistakenly thinking by your first post that all future upgrades would be on that new pricing structure. I bought SA back in the Meedio days and have used it ever since. Think it cost me like $15 at the time?

Lifetime upgrades ftw.

Help! I installed showanalyzer after reading some articles over at Hack7MC.com. I grabbed the latest beta release. I have it running on my gaming box hitting the file across the network. Just an FYI in case this is my first mistake.
The first show I tried was the Vampire Diaries. It popped up in the active tab for a split second and totally disappeared. While working on setting up a que I got an error the brought up some sort of debug app that tried to send some info to the web. Which that failed also.

But I restarted it and got my files into a que. After the process grabbed a few files and skipped them just like the vampire Diaries it crunched on an episode of Criminal Minds for about 15 minutes but it never showed any progress.

Any clue on what I am doing wrong? Does the software have to run on the box the show is recorded on?

Mike Garcen's picture

Meester, you might want to just create a new thread for that issue. One of our team members, Andy (Babgvant) is super knowledgeable and i'm sure others can help as well...just would be easier to see in it's own thread

Mike Garcen (shadymg) MissingRemote Editor-in-Chief Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP (formerly Media Center MVP) Twitter @mikegarcen MissingRemote on Facebook

Meester.Rip wrote:

Help! I installed showanalyzer after reading some articles over at Hack7MC.com. I grabbed the latest beta release. I have it running on my gaming box hitting the file across the network. Just an FYI in case this is my first mistake.
The first show I tried was the Vampire Diaries. It popped up in the active tab for a split second and totally disappeared. While working on setting up a que I got an error the brought up some sort of debug app that tried to send some info to the web. Which that failed also.

But I restarted it and got my files into a que. After the process grabbed a few files and skipped them just like the vampire Diaries it crunched on an episode of Criminal Minds for about 15 minutes but it never showed any progress.

Any clue on what I am doing wrong? Does the software have to run on the box the show is recorded on?

Yeah... I had the same problem.  It would popup in the queue for a moment then go away like it never happened.  Nothing in the History tab either.  Turns out that the latest build at the DragonGlobal Forums (version 1.0.32.718) doesn't work with .wtv files well, or something like that.  I uninstalled it and installed the previous version (version 1.0.31.680) that is available on the same forum post.  This older version seems to be working fine.

I'm not impressed with the commercial detection yet... but I'll give it some time.

By not impressed does that mean it doesn't work? I don't mind if it misses a commercial here or there but does it ever mess up a recording? The wife would be pretty ticked if her Biggest Loser got messed up.

skirge01's picture

Are you removing commercials or just having it mark them?  I use comskip and it just creates a file which SageTV recognizes, so there's no chance of it messing up the recording.  There's another program which can actually remove the commercials, but because it's not 100%, I won't take the chance.

jennyfur's picture

Yeah, I've never had the guts to take the chance with outright commercial removal. I only use apps that can detect the commercials and not merely just edit them out because I'm terrified that it might flag something wrong and ruin my recording otherwise. That's why I bought ShowAnalyzer. Besides, that way if I actually want to watch a commercial (like when a special movie preview or show preview is on, or even if I just want to run to the bathroom or grab a snack) I still have the option.

Topic locked
Website design by Yammm Software