Some 1080i on an LCD HDTV questions

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mike Garcen's picture
Some 1080i on an LCD HDTV questions

So I finally bit the bullit & picked up the Emprex HD-3202 that was on sale at Fry's today, and have been pretty pleased with it, but now of course, some questions:

1. I've got it hooked up to my HTPC via Component for 1080i resolution...would going DVI > HDMI be worth it? Any noticeable difference?

2. I set the TV up in MCE and it recognized the TV settings & let it configure it to 1080i, and it looks great, but for my desktop i set it up at 1360x768, and it's not filling the screen. ideas?

Mike Garcen (shadymg) MissingRemote Editor-in-Chief Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP (formerly Media Center MVP) Twitter @mikegarcen MissingRemote on Facebook

skirge01's picture

1.  I highly doubt you'll see an improvement by going to HDMI.  I believe the main reason for HDMI is to add everything into a single cable.

2.  You should have some picture adjustments for the TV that will adjust the size and position, just like your computer monitor.  I'm not sure if LCDs to the same as plasmas, but my plasma cannot fill the entire screen due to it shifting the entire image clockwise to prevent burn-in.  The best I can do is have 2 lines of pixels that are not used on at least one edge at all times.

Mike Garcen's picture

eh, it was only $8 for a DVI-> HDMI  cable , so i figure i'll test it out & report back my results

Mike Garcen (shadymg) MissingRemote Editor-in-Chief Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP (formerly Media Center MVP) Twitter @mikegarcen MissingRemote on Facebook

I also bought this TV at Fry's for the sale.  I like the picture (especially for the price)  but mine has occasional "blanking" of the screen for about a second or so.  This happens on the component input (was using a 480p signal) about every few minutes.  On the VGA input it happens maybe once every 45 minutes or so.  Very disturbing.  See anything like that with yours?  If not, then maybe I can hope for it to go away by exchanging it with a new one once Fry's gets them back in stock here.

Thanks,

- RP

Mike Garcen's picture

hey crux, i did see that same blank problem last week. i just got back from a trip, and have had it on (component1) since i got home & haven't seen it happen again. I'll be watching it all nite on this & i'll report tomorrow if i see it tomorrow. i agree, it was fairly annoying.

shadymg wrote:

hey crux, i did see that same blank problem last week. i just got back from a trip, and have had it on (component1) since i got home & haven't seen it happen again. I'll be watching it all nite on this & i'll report tomorrow if i see it tomorrow. i agree, it was fairly annoying.

Ok, cool.  For reference, what I've tried is the following:
- 480p from Sony DVD player on component input (blanking every few minutes usually)
- 480p from Toshiba DVD (same as above)
- Xbox 360 on VGA input (blanking every 45 minutes or so on avg.)
- Dish SD PVR driving the SD input (no problems, very good picture for SD)

I should be getting Dish HD hooked up tomorrow and will try the DVI input which hopefully won't have any issues.  I'll also try component at 720p. 

My ultimate goal is to drive this via HDMI from the Dish box and a new HTPC I'm building using Vista via HDMI also.  The only analog input I plan to use is the VGA from the 360.

Mike Garcen's picture

ok, so it only blanked once, very quickly, after like 4 hours. this was on component 1. my HDMI cable should be arriving today, so i'll report back on that one.

i've been debating getting the 5-year warranty from fry's for $70...anyone have any experience with Fry's warranty? I'm cautious spending $70 on a $400 television though...i mean, how often do LCD TV's go bad if not in the first year?

Well my Syntax Olevia 27" LCD no longer accepts non-HD inputs after 2.5 years.

Mike Garcen's picture

yikes...hrmmm...that's a problem. maybe it's worth the $70 on a $400 tv set? ehhhhhh

Yeah, I bought the $70 warranty. At least buy the 2 year warranty for $35 since by 2 years from now I would expect 32" Sony LCDs to be closer to $400 we bought these for. 

Sounds like maybe I need to exchange mine.  I thought maybe it was a bug in the product but it's sounding more like a bad chip or something in mine, which is of course better.

Mike Garcen's picture

crux, do you know any details on the $70 warranty? I'm thinking i'm going to go back & add that to my purchase, since the lady said it was in-home service too, but she didn't have any paperwork so i was just cautious.

anything you know would help me decide Smile

Mike Garcen's picture

just called...hmm..now the dude tells me it's not in-home. what'd they tell you crux? Smile

Mike,  why are you running a 1366x768 flat panel at 1080i?  Isn't that a lot of unnecessary conversions?  Or won't it accept the native resolution from the video card?  I know it isn't always possible - I have to run my 1366x768 Olevia off the DSub input because it's DVI only accepts 1280x1024 from a PC...

Dude...  How old IS this FusionHDTV3 ???

shadymg wrote:

just called...hmm..now the dude tells me it's not in-home. what'd they tell you crux? Smile

Told me same thing. As I wrote in avsforums they also said it would include a loaner (saw that on the PC screen itself) if they had to take it away. 

Mike Garcen's picture

cgsheen wrote:

Mike,  why are you running a 1366x768 flat panel at 1080i?  Isn't that a lot of unnecessary conversions?  Or won't it accept the native resolution from the video card?  I know it isn't always possible - I have to run my 1366x768 Olevia off the DSub input because it's DVI only accepts 1280x1024 from a PC...

yeah, that's an older post Smile i'm not running it at 1080i. i chose to go the 720p route & it looks fantastic, fills the screen perfectly, no overscan that i can tell.

thanks for the info crux, i definitely think i'm gonna get it. For $70, that puts my total at exactly $500....not bad for guaranteed 5-year life HDTV Smile

Topic locked
Website design by Yammm Software