jrandeck

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Is component video and HD audio over HDMI possible? #27485
    jrandeck
    Participant

      To get audio from the DVI port on your video card (assuming your card supports that) you’ll need the adapter made specifically for that card, a standard DVI to HDMI adapter won’t work since audio isn’t part of the DVI standard, so different manufacturers have different schemes to make that work. 

      Beyond that, I’d think it should be possible to have both outputs active (as if you have two monitors), but it would probably take some tweaking of settings. 

      jrandeck
      Participant

        One thing I haven’t seen mentioned much, but got tripped up on is to be sure to disable any third party firewalls.  The full installation instructions on Ceton’s site mention this, but the quick installation guide does not. 

        I had to disable Norton’s firewall completely to get the Ceton card to work.  I’m still looking for the correct settings so I can turn it back on.

        in reply to: help – intel HD graphic drive #27444
        jrandeck
        Participant

          That’s even stranger than the situation I ran into: http://www.babbletech.net/2010/06/joys-of-connecting-pc-to-tv.html

          in reply to: Ceton InfiniTV 4 Review #26979
          jrandeck
          Participant

            [quote=”phoneguyinpgh”]
            For me it’s a depends on wether the the 3 tuners on the SD can be shared by multiple HTPCs at the same time.  If the Centon can be installed in a WHS and stream from there to the multiple HTPCs that would clinch it for that unit.  But I wouldn’t need 4 tuners in each machine, that would be over kill for me.
            [/quote]

            My understanding is that the reason you can’t share the tuners with the Ceton card has to do with Cable Labs’ restrictions, but otherwise the card could be shared over the network.    I believe that’s one of the fronts on which Silicon Dust and Ceton are lobbying for change, but we’ll see what happens. 

            in reply to: Chenbro Case – Low profile case and HSF #26958
            jrandeck
            Participant

              [quote=”Skirge01″]
              [quote=”kataleen”]
              And a brief review: http://www.techpowerup.com/126500/SilverStone_Intros_Nitrogon_NT07-1156_CPU_Cooler.html
              [/quote]

              Did you happen to read through any of the comments?  They’re essentially saying this is a stock Intel cooler rebranded by Silverstone. 
              [/quote]

              I think the comments on that site are missing the fact that it’s about half the height of the Intel cooler.

              The version I have isn’t an amazing cooler, it’s not something you’re going to switch to for better cooling efficiency, but it’s adequate for my needs and it fits in a very low profile case.

              Yes, the push pins can be a pain, especially if they get bent a little.  The one caveat I have for mine is that although it’s working, I would prefer that it clamped just a little tighter to the CPU.  It takes about half the force to get the last pin in place than the stock Intel cooler does.

              in reply to: Chenbro Case – Low profile case and HSF #26952
              jrandeck
              Participant

                The manufacturer’s page says this one is 47mm tall:
                http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103086

                Just to give you more options 🙂

                in reply to: Chenbro Case – Low profile case and HSF #26946
                jrandeck
                Participant

                  Unfortunately, there’s not much help in the tested MoBo list since those all use notebook or netbook processors.

                  I use this cooler in a mini-ITX case and it’s got a pretty low profile (37mm) but I don’t think it fits on the newer socket types: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835220034

                  If you need a case with more room, you might have a look at this one.  It’s not as pretty and doesn’t have hot swap bays, but maybe something like this would work: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112265

                  It looks like it has room for a full size cooler, again, depending on how the drive bays overlap the motherboard.

                  in reply to: Chenbro Case – Low profile case and HSF #26942
                  jrandeck
                  Participant

                    Yeah, it looks to me like there’s very little headroom for a CPU cooler in that case, you’ll almost certainly need a slimline cooler and from the looks of it maybe something designed for a 1U server if the optical drive hangs over the CPU at all. That will likely be louder than you want for an HTPC.

                  Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)